Monday, July 02, 2007

That's what she said...

Yes, it's been a lifetime since i've written. Mostly 'cause i haven't had much to say. ("They come mostly at night. Mostly.")

Last night I got my tv watching on with Carrie and Nicole...Carrie stuck around to watch the 1st episode of the UK version of The Office. The US one is almost play-by-play off the British one, but dang it was hard to understand their language. Instead of saying "layoffs" they say "redundancies".

Anyway so I scoped it out online, and turns out there's a trillion other Offices out there.
First we have the "true" first episode, the British one:


Now compare against the US version:


Jim kicks ass, no matter what country he's in.

Now the French (France French, not Canadian French) version, which somehow replaces the jello with cheese...I guess jello isn't a common dessert in France?

Le Bureau (which translates verbatum to "the desk" but I guess that's another word for office as well...):


Now I have no idea if the Quebecois version ever did the jello/cheese shtick, 'cause I guess it was only on some random subscription station and only in January got aired on other channels, so searching for it is brutal on You Tube ('cause it's called "La Job" (which yes, means, The Job) ends up with mostly Steve Jobs Apple crap):



And finally, the German version, which started off not being The Office (it's an insurance company, not a paper company) but the British Office people sued the Stromberg people 'cause it's pretty obvious even without understanding the language who is Michael, Jim, and Dwight (or David, british Jim, and Gareth):


And there you have it. The more you know.

No comments: