I'm willing to admit that I'm an absolute teenager in my mind.
Total immaturity, I know. When I was 16 I was the most mature person ever. Sadly my maturity stopped at 16 as well.
Growing up I was all into YM, 'TEEN, Seventeen...and they always highlighted MTV and MTV shows...well in Canada we have MTV's MuchMusic and Musique Plus (the French version), which really is just nonstop music.
When I first moved to the US I was so annoyed with MTV...my knowledge of music video totally slashed big time (I have since learned that if you stay up late, you can catch that insomniac theater or whatever). And I was so annoyed that at least I got my VH1 Behind The Music fix. But then...
everything changed...
...when I got to watch Real World.
I had read about Real World (Eric Nies was ALWAYS in those teen magazines...which yes highlights my age, I know...but to my defense, the dude is still doing RealWorld/RoadRules challenges) in all those magazines, but they don't show it in Canada, so I didn't think much of it. But when I finally started watching it...OMG...I thought it was brilliant.
Now keep in mind, that maybe by the time I started watching it, the whole "wow let's get some young hot people drunk and film them" novelty had worn off, but to me it was AWESOME. And I've been addicted ever since.
Granted the last season, Philadelphia, was horrible and I missed quite a few episodes...after awhile, there's only so much "we're good looking we love our roommates let's drink yadda yadda let's talk about the meaning of life like at 21 I know anything about life" I can handle, and that season in particular there was alot of Here's The Meaning Of Life, Like, You Know What I Mean? discussions....but overall, I absolutely adore Real World.
On Tuesday we saw the first episode of Real World: Austin. I was ready to write the show off if it was going to be thin, gorgeous people...thankfully, this one isn't. I mean, part of the idea of the show is to have people from different backgrounds interact...pfft in Philly, they were ALL from the same stupid background, even having 2 gay people didn't make a diff in the intellectual stimulation of the show. But this one...I have to give it credit.
You've got the Military Chick who's definitely not stick thin and kinda butchy and has 'tude.
You've got the Virgin Hairdresser who just seems appalled by everyone's actions.
You've got the Token Hot Blonde who's excessively slutty.
You've got Exotic Girl With a Twist...she's an insane violent drunk.
You've got Token Hot Guy...which wouldn't be a big deal but DANG the dude got his face punched in the first episode and his bone completely moved in (they showed the X-Rays, eww) and now he's all jacked up. I dig that.
You've got Token Black Guy...ahh whatever he's just the token Guy Of Color.
You've got Hillbilly Frat Boy...he's kind of useless but his excessive hand slapping with Token Hot Guy is kind of funny. And he's not good looking.
So my friends....I think Real World has redeemed itself from the past season by finding people that actually have personalities and serious psychological issues. Yee haw!
No comments:
Post a Comment