1. The psychology between men and women
2. The business that is Walmart
3. Cultural aspects of beauty (reminds me: Alanna, you still have my book!)
Today...let's talk walmart.
You don't need 3 copies of the same movie Cartman!
Walmart's under ALOT of pressure lately because as much at they try to move forward and stop being a ghetto hillbilly store, sadly...that's pretty much their main consumer.
They discovered that along with rednecks, regular working people (i.e. middle income people like you and me) tend to shop there for basic staples (toilet paper, crap you can buy anywhere but always cheapest at Walmart). So they tried to figure out ways to get us middle income people to STAY at Walmart and spend more. They tried to bring in higher-end stuff, like more expensive furnishings and their "George" line of clothing.
Now this pissed off the hillbillies and rednecks big time. Like the older rural women aren't happy with the clothing options now, becuase they don't want trendy hiphuggers and stuff. And the managers are pissed off 'cause they dont' want expensive lamps to replace their cheapie lamps, because college kids are a huge part of their demographic too.
The latest thing to piss off the hillbillies this week has been the removal of Walmart's layaway program. I had no idea walmart even HAD a layaway program. Layaway is for stuff that you want NOW, might not be there TOMORROW, so you promise to pay tomorrow if NOW the manager will keep it in back for you. WTF is there at Walmart now that you can't just wait till you save the money?
Well people are pissed. Because Walmart is assuming in this day and age of credit cards that people can still buy now, pay later. Uhhh, yes that is a correct assumption. However, the hillbillies are steamin' mad over this. I guess alot of people right around this time buy their Xmas gifts. One lady was quoted as saying that she hopes she'll have the money at Xmastime for her kids' gifts since she cant do layway.
Now maybe i'm an idiot...but either you pay it off later when it's on layaway...or you just buy it later...isn't it all the same thing? And WTF is at Walmart that you can't just save up for? If you have to put your son's XBox 360 on layaway, then maybe you aren't in a financial position to buy one. Or put it on your credit card. Or...just a thought...how about you just SAVE UP and buy it a week before xmas?
And...to Walmart's defense...why should they put stuff aside, interest-free, for consumers when credit companies are making good coin charging interest with relatively the same concept?
The other issue that hillbillies are griping about is the reduction of the fabric department. Yes, walmart has a fabric department. One article I read quoted an old lady having to drive out 2 hours to get her fabric because Walmart is getting rid of that department. GASP...for shame, a company actually noticing what sells and what doesn't, and removing the items or departments that aren't financially sound. Walmart isn't a government agency people...it's a BUSINESS. They aren't there to provide you with affordable crap. They're there to take your dough, even if it seems like a good buy.
Apparently part of Walmart's big problem is that they don't pay attention to what the managers on the floor are saying that people want (probably because then they'd be stuck with fabric on layaway). They also don't allow managers to order stuff that's out of stock, regardless if the shelves are empty...it's all about the quantities listed in the system. Have you ever attempted to get mascara from Walmart? Cosmetics are impossible 'cause they never HAVE anything there...turns out that that's their #1 most shoplifted department, and if the system still says it's in stock...well tough luck, they're never going to replace the item.
As high tech of a system, it seems a little archaic.
Anyway...that's the kind of crap that fascinates me. I'm not sure WHY...i think just 'cause they're so hated and yet, you can't help but shop there if you need cheap toilet paper.
1 comment:
I read somewhere that there's a North American RV association that has some sort of agreement with Walmart that people and their RVs can stay in Walmart parking lots free of charge. Now other than retirees who for some reason love the novelty of being able to drive to Florida in a condo on wheels, who else lives in RVs or mobile homes? Hillbillies. Now other than the fact that Walmart sells cheap goods what other reason is there for anyone to shop there?? None. :)
Now if they offered valet parking and sold furs, Versace, Dolce Gabbana, or even some more affordable clothing such as Banana Republic, (compared to the previous two it clothing from there is affordable) or even Gap. You'd have not only the middle class (blue collar) folk spending more time there you might find a few white collar folk sticking around.
Seriously, every time I go in there I might get Tide, or some cleaning products. I'd never buy clothes there... ok maybe boxers or socks. :) I'd never buy furniture there either. I'm still getting used to grocery stores selling clothes and other household items. :) Or I might just get a snack for work... wait no that's Zellers.
I might go to Wallmart more but I don't live anywhere near one, they are all in the 'burbs, close to it's victims. :)
Ok, not fair and if I lived closer to one, I'd probably go to Wallmart more.
Post a Comment