You know what I don't get? WHy every radio station and tv show are saying "hey, what's the big deal with Imus, he's been doing this for years"...well if it's not a big deal, why the eff are you still discussing it?!!
The only reason I know who Imus is is 'cause of Howard Stern, and since I love Howard I pretty much was biased as soon as I heard the story. I mean, come ON...who does this old creepy guy think he is calling some chicks "nappy headed hos"?
Well...then I actually HEARD the clip from his show...what the BLEEP is everyone freaking out about? Okay, granted, I'm not black. I'll give you that. And I'm also not from the east coast, which is his target audience. I live in Southern California where even the whitest kids think they're gangsta...must I remind people about BuckWild from Flavor of Love season 2? She's from Rancho Cucamonga for God's sakes.
Thing is...it's not like he just started a rant. He was chatting about women's basketball, about how scary these chicks looked (and dont' tell me that a team of somewhat professional women's basketball players wouldn't creep you out, they're tall and muscular and jock-ish), and he's talking about how the other teams were like "dang, these girls are scary looking!" and he called them a bunch of "nappy headed hos"...not in a BAD way, but just in a "these girls are tough, I wouldn't mess with them either! They look rough!"...
Was it the smartest thing to say? Obviously not. But to his defense, he's one of the first radio "shock jocks", he didn't get where he's at because he's held back...you can't have your shock jocks showing restraint whenever you see fit. Suddenly NOW you want to fire the guy?
Plus it's not like the dude's got a written script. News flash: radio jockeys ad lib. For HOURS. You can't take alot of time to THINK when you're ad libbing your content. If he'd said "damn, those ugly ass whores should be shot", that's one thing. But to say "damn, those chicks are scarrryyyy!" is another. And okay, for him to call them "hos"...well, wtf...if he were black, would he still be under fire? I get that only black people can call each other the N-word (Alanna, you're still my niglet though! booyah!), but "Ho" is for Whore, and that goes across all races...
As for the "nappy" comment, do a search in google...Take a look at some things that come up...
Nappy Hair Affair
But A Nappy Hair Affair (ANHA) is about so much more than hair. It is about reclaiming and respecting our culture. We have been conditioned to hate one of our most unique characteristics-our hair in its most natural state. We have been conditioned to accept European standards of beauty and to reject our own. ANHA exists to cause a shift in such negative mindsets and promote a positive image of people of African descent. We do it through support, affirmation and education.
So wouldn't that imply that it can also be a GOOD thing to be nappy haired?
Nappturality
Napptural hair is the type labeled "bad", nappy hair that needs to be "fixed."
This perception needs to change. We need to stop being afraid of our hair. We need to learn about our natural hair. We need to see natural hair worn on women who have embraced it. And the only way we can do that is to showcase our natural hair on its own merit without seeing it compared with other hairtypes.
See! Spread the word people! Nappy might be a GOOD thing!
Okay, okay, I get it...you think I'm stretching. And I kinda am. But really...point is...it's not THAT bad...it wasn't meant to be malicious, he was chatting about sports, if they had been big tall WHITE chicks he would have made an equally rude comment (and really, I'm not afraid to say how female athletes can be frickin' scary)...but people, he APOLOGIZED...cut him some slack and let's move on. There's a pretty big difference between what Imus said vs. Michael Richards.
On another note, I'm finally trying to catch up on Lost...at least now I know what happened to John Locke and why he ended up in a wheelchair...I bet in 50 years if they ever watch reruns they'd say "wow, things would be so different if that happened now 'cause he could get some stem cells and fix his spine..."....kinda like how we watch movies now and think how things would be SO different if the victim could just dial *69.
2 comments:
I heard the comment and it was really hard to catch at first and not really knowing what nappy meant, (thanks Sabina for finding that); Seriously, though the liberal left have got to loosen up a bit. Granted I'm sure there are a lot of impressionable teens that listen to his show but honestly folks, they don't need help being mean they do a good enough job on their own.
I also think the whole ordeal is actually making things worse, the media is at fault here and I don't mean Imus. Let him apologize to the team and drop it.
EXACTLY!
Post a Comment