Over the holidays Costco gave away this cookbook using, naturally, costco-specific products (which isn't too hard to substitute). Cookbooks are like serious food porn...i could pour over the pages, salivating, oggling, for hours...and repeat it frequently.
I decided today to give two recipes a whirl: the meatloaf and the apple-cheese soup.
The soup (link to cookbook, go to page 77): it's actually pretty tasty, except I added extra mustard powder and tabasco, since I generally think recipes are very bland in flavor (I feel pretty confident in my spice-skills, since a coworker pointed out that whatever I bring in always has the right amount of spices...which I tend to triple in a given recipe). Oh and I used that fat-free oil (Enova) instead of butter, since the whole planet knows I've got an aversion to butter. Only problem is that I was cooking while reading and missed hte part that said to peel the apples before putting them in...ahh well, it still tastes pretty spiffy.
You wouldn't think a cheese-apple soup would be good, but you gotta use granny smith apples which makes it very tangy.
Healthy Mini Meatloaves: (link to cookbook, go to page 147) this is my first ever meatloaf, to be honest I've never really had meatloaf before (unless a bite off someone's plate once counts). It's good, VERY easy to make, except this is what I would change:
- don't bother with the muffin concept...i dunno, maybe i'm weird, but i think a traditional old skool meatloaf format would be better.
- I added like 5 times the thyme and i would definitely not hesitate to be liberal with that. Plus I would add even MORE pepper than the boatloads that i added. Turkey's not exactly the most flavorful meat.
- I would really, REALLY chop finely the mushrooms and onions...even maybe puree them (if i had a mini food processor...not worth whipping out the big one...heh heh that sounded perverted), i don't like big chunks of stuff in my food.
Overall, considering it's Costco, it's a very good cookbook. Instructions are clear, recipes may look like they take alot of ingredients but they're all basic stuff nothing crazy (One thing I hate about Rachel Rey's stuff is that they usually need some white whine...wtf i don't keep white wine laying around, let alone waste the rest of the bottle...not a white wine fan)....
Time to get my Girls Next Door and Snoop Dogg's Fatherhood on...
3 comments:
damn girl! way to go on the marathon blogging today! :) love it! so cheese and apples huh? i am cooking for C on new years, maybe i should try something from this spiffy costco cookbook...sounds promising as long as i triple the spices! oh and i love the new blog layout...with the labels and all :)
Woo Hoo 2 recipes from a cookbook is this a goal per month too that wasn't written in the monthly goals?
SO what are you and Kraig doing for NYE?
Cheese and apple soup?? I've never heard of that, send up the recipe. My mom always encouraged us to help out in the kitchen. I'm no chef but I like to cook and there are a few of us at work that swap recipes when we've found good ones.
There's a really mongolian beef stirfry that I have that isn't bland, I can email it to you if you want. :)
Turkey-meatloaf? That's gross. :P
I like cooking with white-wine, I thought the same about wasting the bottle of wine just to get a 250mL of wine into the dish. Now I just serve the rest for dinner. I cooked something with red wine a few weeks ago and it was awesome!!!
Want the recipe? Then you could drink the rest of the bottle with dinner?
Post a Comment