You know how some people have one car problem after another? Well it seems we have computer problem after another.
A year ago we swapped out the old "main" family computer for Kraig's somewhat old Dell computer (it was better...it just wasn't being used because Kraig had a laptop from work he was using). STored the Old Main in the closet.
Computer Status at this time: the Dell, his work laptop, and this ghetto old laptop i've got.
Earlier this year kraig got a new job, so he got one of those Western Digital "MyBook" things (over $200) to put the stuff from his work computer, his work laptop on...well after the IT guy at his old company erased those systems, the MyBook crapped out.
Kraig called WD but basically they said they could give him a new one (it was brand new), but that wasnt the point...the information ON it is what's important.
I took it into my IT guy at work and he said that the disk inside won't spin, he popped off the case and tried to attach it to a regular computer...basically, it was dead. Kraig then looked into a storage recovery thing but those are CRAZY expensive 'cause they have to wear bunny suits and look all fancy to protect the disk when they try to recover the info.
Computer status at this time: The Dell, the ghetto laptop, and an unusable WD storage device.
Then the ghetto laptop got f*cked up REALLY badly. It kept crashing, then restarting, and the only way to get it to stop this cycle was for it to repeat it and let the battery die out. I had to re-install windows from scratch (have you ever tried doing that? It took HOURS. And wiped out everything I had). It still doesn't work great, I get a blue screen about once an hour, so it's good for random web surfing and that's it. Remember the blue screen of death days? It's even WORSE when you get it without having Windows 95.
THEN the Dell crapped out...it gets stuck at the main Windows bootup logo thing...so this morning Kraig and I had to put the Old Main one back in ('cause i've got stuff I need to do that requires a steady system, knock on wood).
Computer status at this time: a Dell that won't work, a ghetto laptop that barely works, an unusable WD storage device, and an Old Main computer that seriously it like working on my old skool Pentium 75.
THEN...THEN...just NOW...i was printing shipping labels for my ebay stuff when my printer crapped out. By "crapped out" i mean, it shorted out. I can unplug it and replug it in and get a flicker of light for a second and that's it.
I LOVE THAT PRINTER. It's an HP LaserJet 4, one of the best printers ever made. That thing is at least 15 years old and has held up SO well. If you go online it still gets the best reviews for printers, and that sucker is still used in businesses. LOVE LOVE LOVE this printer.
So what do I have now?
A super crazy old slow Old Main family computer and the use of my HP inkjet. The inkjet is fine but it's not ideal, for the cost of replacing ink in that sucker I might as well buy a brand new laser printer. Plus i'm a Printer Snob: inkjets, deskjets, whatever, they're unacceptable. It's laser or nothing.
Do i pay to fix the HP? Do I get a new laser? Either way, it'll cost $$...which is ironic since it shorted out while i was trying to print out shipping labels for stuff on ebay IN ORDER TO MAKE MONEY...argh. One step forward, eight steps back.
2 comments:
Oh that sucks! Look on freecycle or craigslist for a new lazerjet printer? So it isn't so expensive
Wow, you aren't kidding that the you are having some serious computer woes. So the hard drive won't spin at all at all? Data recovery places are expensive but if the drive can power up and can be seen by the computer at POST then there's some hope. I've managed to save some stuff from erased drives before, bummed out drives are doable. :P
Laptops are the hardest thing to fix and installing Windows can be a pain, you need a trusty neighbourhood computer geek to help ya out. :) lol Most of us help each other out when it comes to fixing stuff.
As for the LaserJet 4, they are workhorses but when they go it's nto worth fixing them. They make printers now like how they make American cars, they have a shelf-life of 1-2 years and if by some miracle that you can keep that thing running, the toner replacements will keep HPs pockets lined with greenbacks. :)
Get a B&W printer, if you need to print colour go to Kinkos or something. :P
I haven't owned a printer in 4 years. To do the eBay labels I've always used my work's printers, my co-workers have given me a hard time but considering some of the other crap I've seen printed on the LAN printers my eBay labels are far more legit than that other stuff. :) I know it's not corporately moral but have you never taken a pen from work?? I don't anymore because work gets such crappy pens to be 'financially responsible' that I actually go out and buy my own pens, same goes for books. Although I have expensed books in the past, I've seen what happens when books are left behind. They are scavenged by the wrong people or thrown out.
Anyhow, I hope you computer woes are resolved sooner rather than later. I'd suggest you call the Geek Squad but those guys are rip-offs.
Post a Comment