Monday, August 21, 2006

Feline Health Watch

So in cat news...

Anyone who's anyone knows how much Marmalade means to me. That cat means the world to me, and honestly I probably value her life more than my family's life....

The past while she's been dealing with an infection, and right now it's become a "raging" bladder infection. They thought since she's borderline diabetes that the glucose was feeding the infection. Took some tests...nope, that's not it. They're still working on figuring out why the infection is resistant to all the different meds, but they also found that she's starting to show signs of kidney failure...

So all this time she was on low carb, high protein food (basically Kitty Atkins) 'cause of the diabetes...now she's on low protein food 'cause that jacks up your kidneys otherwise...then eventually she'll go on medication + soft food...and then i'll have to feed her liquids....

The vet estimated 2-3 years left.

Marmalade is roughly 10-11 years old...I kinda figured she'd survive to be 21 like Kraig's cat Gruffy...I mean, Marmalade is pretty spry for an older cat. She plays and runs around like a mofo...one minute she'll be hiding under the dining room table, next minute she's charging upstairs, to teh bedroom, and jumps on the bed to attack something.

Now if you've never met this cat, you're probably thinking that I"m making a big deal out of this. But anyone who's met her says she's unlike any other cat, how she's got such a personality to her (she's a ham!), and most importantly she's my little buddy...she follows me everywhere and when I come home from work, she yaks on and on about her day and how dare I leave her...Heck, even when I pet Stash she gives me SUCH a look of fierce jealousy (very much of a "oh no you DI - INT" snap of the fingers look).

Sigh, and best of all, I've trained her to give me little kisses.

My relationship with her is so abnormal, Kraig keeps saying that he's terrified the day she dies, 'cause I'm going to lose my mind.

2 comments:

zabber said...

Holy crap!! Poor Marm!! I've never met Marmalade but I know how special she is to you because of how you go on about her, I have a lot of respect for vets because they can't ask their patients what's wrong, they gotta go by touch, reaction and tests for the most part. I guess that's why it's harder to get into vet school than it is to become a regular doctor.

I'll have my fingers crossed and wishing good thoughts for Marmalade.

Tony Starr said...

That really sucks, I am so sorry to hear this. Just remember to treasure everyday you have with her, and keep in mind that docs aren't always right.